Sunday, September 22, 2013

3:03 AM
I'm a football fan, sorry for that, to be more accurate I'm an..... allsports fan!


Today I shall speak under the capacity of a football fan and follower,since my very early years. (12-14)

There is a debate nowadays,on which club was the biggest ever and the answers you get, totally depend on the age of the people asked.

It's quite normal that a youngster should not hesitate to his answer: Barcelona!
Well it isn't that simple. Many factors slip into this matter.
The WINNER according many calculations, should result from the era, the titles etc.... Strong candidates should include Real M. (of Di Stefano), Ajax (of Johan Cruiff), Barcelona (with Messi), not to forget ManU and the great Liverpool of the 80s.

All those teams, appear as potential winners of ....my trophy!
Unfortunately, I will have to disappoint all of you who showed their preference to the above mentioned teams....

Maybe it will sound as a surprise to many of you, but to my eye, Inter Milan of Elenio Herrera's era, was the biggest among the big!
Still remember all the great names, like Sarti (the goallie), Burnich, Guarneri, the late Giancinto Fachetti, Mario Corso, (what a playmaker), Sandro Mazzola, Zair, Domenghini and.. company. The "total" football.

Many believe, that allenatore Herrera was the inventor of the so called "il catenaccio". Wrong! He used that full defense tactic, only in "special" games of a lesser importance.

Actually a lad of 12? years, I accompanied my father (a friend of legendary president of Internazionale, Angelo Moratti), father of today's Massimo, in a series of great games (partite).
If my memory doesn't play me false, I watched two European Champions finals, versus Real Madrid and Eusebio's Benfica. Also,two intercontinental finals, against Independiente and Estudiantes, both super powers in S.America. 
All followed from the presidential seats and with eyes wide open!.......