Thursday, July 11, 2013

6:53 PM
(Photo: Soukidia Villas)
Early this year, a nice website of a brand new villa-hotel caught my eye.

It looked quite promising, lying in the second leg of southern Peloponnese peninsula just three hours drive from Athens. It's name: Soukidia village.

The owners were letting the property, actually divided into two sections (villas).

Our company, seven couples, booked the whole property.

We were the first who arrived in the villas and as we crossed the impressive entrance, heading for the reception both my wife and I, were amazed by the open sea to our left. It looked endless from the top of the hill.

As we parked our car a young couple appeared with a great smile followed by open arms! I couldn't remember when this happened for the last time ..but realized I had to go back many years!

John and Faye (The owners in case you didn't understand) helped us with our luggage and asked from us to chose a room in one of the two villas. We unpacked rapidly and met the owners for a promissed local refreshment, accompanied by a local "MEZE" and all that came by the tiny lap pool and there warm presence.

Maria (my wife) had already become friends with Faye ( women are always easier than us).

Well I was thinking enjoying relaxed the view from above, Greece is not all about Mykonos, Corfu and Santorini..

Or Spain about Andalusia and Catalunia, or even Italy with Capri and Portofino. There are some hidden gems like the one I had spotted and was already enjoying. Meanwhile the two wives had disappeared discretely and as I discovered later the reason behind that,was the revelation of an ultra designed steambath (a dream of every woman who respects herself).

When the small..."ceremony" was over I decided to make a quick tour of the estate, cause it was already two and be ready to make the smart guy to the others, who according to my latest information, by phone were very close to Soukidia. The villas, totally built from local stone, (as well the totality of the villages in the area) reminded me medieval castles. I knew of course, there was a rich history behind all that. During the Turkish occupation of Greece, for nearly four centuries not even a leg of a Turkish fighter dared to walk this proud land (Mani). Before being interrupted from the horns of the cars going up the final meters of the winding road, I had the opportunity to check a fully equipped huge kitchen of our villa, which turned to be in the coming days,the meeting point of our glorious company.. It was there, where Evangelos (a friend of 35 years) was happy to prepare his "special" breakfast during our stay. Imagine, breakfast for fourteen people!

We spent in the villas five exciting days making short visits to many highlights of the area, including the famous Monemvassia castle.

We even sailed (with my friend's Costas speedboat) and discovered by sea all the beauties the area is offering.

Still, I believe Limeni (with it's fish taverns on the water) and Areopolis (with its bustling nightlife) robbed our heart.

Not forget also to thank, Faye and John for there hospitality and great professionalism!

Newer Post
Previous
This is the last post.